Monday, April 8, 2013

This is My Jam


When I first started running back in 2005, one of my biggest motivators, and most crucial pieces of equipment was my iPod.  I’m old enough to remember Sony Walkman, and Discman, and so when the iPod launched it was pretty awesome. On a long run you could listen to two or three albums by someone.  My favorite running partner is the band Radiohead. Named after a Talking Heads song, these avant garde rockers provide the perfect soundtrack to running.  There is something incredibly consistent about the beats, even when the tempo changes, that helps propel my feet along.

I also love to run to the Supersuckers, Pearl Jam, Fiona Apple, Neko Case, and LCD Soundsystem. I’ve been known to stop and do a little dance out on the trail when no one is watching. My Running playlist is pretty sweet, and like most runners I have my “power songs” (“Mountain Song” by Jane’s Addiction is my favorite) which help me find additional willpower or speed.

Imagine my heartache when I found out that you don’t take music with you on triathlons. Something about all that water, and safety issues with headphones and bicycles... So I’ve been attempting to run and ride without music.  Even when I bring my iPhone (so that I can track my distances on Strava) I don’t bring headphones. It’s a challenge, but I’m getting used to it, and I find I actually like the sound of my own thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment