Friday, January 18, 2013

“I can't promise to try, but I promise to try to try.” - Bart Simpson


Welcome to Try to Tri, my blog about the trials of taking on a triathlon with almost no experience in two of the three required events. Wish me luck!


My Target:  HITS Triathlon, Napa Valley April 14 2013

Sprint Tri distances: 750 m swim | 12.4 mi bike | 3.1 mi run
This is my “before” picture; all 177 lbs of me.  At least I’m out here trying, right?  I just wish the person taking this picture had pointed out to me that my belly was hanging out.  Nice.  This workout was part of a free training program called “Personal Best,” offered by my employer in preparation for the Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon & 5K. This will be my seventh year participating, and my third Half Marathon.  

photo of a plump woman
So why a Tri: Before I started running, I was pretty much a couch potato. Currently I run about four days a week in order to keep fit (meaning "balance out the caloric impact of pizza and beer"). Some days, however, running doesn't seem like enough. I want to try something different, and to take on a bigger challenge. I’m also looking to make changes because “just” running isn't doing much to make me lose weight.  I need to switch it up. (It can't possibly be due to all that pizza and beer, right?) A friend at work participated in a triathlon last year and is hooked. She has been a big motivator/ mentor/ coach, and she convinced me to "try a tri."
Confidence Levels:
The Run: 10/10 The run is the least of my worries.  3.1 is my minimum/usual distance during the week, so I should be able to handle this even after a swim/ride.  Also, with a half marathon scheduled for February 6 2012, I’ll be in sufficient shape for most anything by April 2013.
The Bike: 6/10 I used to ride a bike back in high school (30 years ago), but didn't like it. My posterior has always been disproportionately large, and felt even bigger on a bike seat. The only bike I have belonged to our teenager. I don't know how to "properly" ride a bike, so this is another part of the challenge.
The Swim: 2/10 This is the part that terrifies me. I'm not afraid of the water, I can dog paddle just fine. It's getting through 750 meters of open water in a timely fashion that's the problem. I will definitely need a coach to help with my swim technique. The other part of this problem that worries me is that most community pools are closed until spring.  

Strategy: The YMCA offers a triathlon training program that I will take advantage of (information session is 2/9/13). Additionally, I have access to coaches at Trimore Fitness in Marin, and the help of all my friends. For proper diet/nutrition, I've signed up with an on-line program that I hope will help me lose some weight while staying fueled. I will keep you posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment